Dietary Guidelines Resources for Professionals
Use the information on this page to learn more about the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, and to get tips and resources to share with your audiences.
Learn more about what’s inside the Dietary Guidelines.
Read the Executive Summary that provides highlights from the Dietary Guidelines. The Executive Summary is also available in Spanish.
Read the Recommendations At-A-Glance, which provides a summary of the five Guidelines and the supporting Key Recommendations. The Recommendations At-A-Glance is also available in Spanish.
The Communicator’s Guide was designed to help professionals take the guess work out of translating the Dietary Guidelines into practical tools and resources for different audiences. Use this resource as a guide to create nutrition education materials and messages for individuals, families, and other groups, based on the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Toolkit for Professionals
Find tips, messages, and materials to help you share information from the Dietary Guidelines with your patients, clients, and peers.
- Talk to Your Patients and Clients about Healthy Eating Patterns [PDF] includes nutrition tips and conversation starters for dietitians, nurses and other providers working with individuals. Also available in Spanish [PDF].
- How to Build a Healthy Eating Pattern [PDF] features tips to help individuals make nutritious food and beverage choices a part of an everyday routine. Also available in Spanish [PDF].
- Shift to Healthier Food & Beverage Choices [PDF] offers a closer look at the Dietary Guidelines concept. Also available in Spanish [PDF].
- Cut Down on Added Sugars [PDF] offers a how-to guide for individuals on reducing added sugars. Also available in Spanish [PDF].
- Cut Down on Sodium [PDF] offers a how-to guide for individuals on reducing sodium. Also available in Spanish [PDF].
- Cut Down on Saturated Fats [PDF] offers a how-to guide for individuals on reducing saturated fats. Also available in Spanish [PDF].
- Find background information about the development of the Dietary Guidelines and slides to incorporate into your own presentations.
- Dietary Guidelines Presentation for Professionals [PPTX] [PDF] has information and graphics about the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines. Download the PowerPoint deck to customize the presentation or the PDF to use it as-is.
- Top 10 Things You Need to Know about the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. This simple resource provides a quick insights from the Dietary Guidelines.
Use the Eat Healthy, Be Active Community Workshops to share tips and resources in an interactive format. This series of six one-hour workshops is based on the Dietary Guidelines and the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans and are used by community educators, health promoters, dietitians/nutritionists, cooperative extension agents, and others to teach to adults in a wide variety of community settings. The workshops include a lesson plan, learning objectives, talking points, hands-on activities, videos, and handouts.