Describe and evaluate current dietary patterns and beverage consumption.
Approach to Answering the Question
Data Analysis and Food Pattern Modeling Cross-Cutting Working Group
Data Analysis Protocol
Developed for each scientific question being examined, the protocol describes the plan for how the data analysis will be conducted. The protocol provides the:
- Analytic framework,
- Analytic plan, and
- Analysis results.
For this question, dietary patterns will be described and evaluated in the following ways:
- The Healthy Eating Index - 2015 will be used to assess eating patterns of Americans ages 2+
- Average HEI-2015 total and components scores
- Distribution of HEI-2015 scores
- Food group and subgroup amounts per 100 calories will be used to describe dietary patterns of infants and toddlers
- Food Category contributions to total energy intake by age, sex, race and income
Beverage consumption will be described and evaluated in the following ways:
- Types of beverages consumed and their contribution to total beverage consumption
- Percent of U.S. population consuming types of beverages on a given day
- Volume of beverages consumed on a given day
- Variations in beverage consumption by age-sex groups
- Variations in beverage consumption by race-ethnicity
- Variations in beverage consumption by income
- Percent of energy, nutrients and food components from beverage types
- Macro/Micro nutrients
- Added sugars and caffeine
Note: The analytic plan for infants and toddlers is still in development. The analytic plan for ages 2+ is being implemented.
This page will be updated with the draft conclusion once it has been developed. Draft conclusions are not considered final until they have been deliberated with and decided upon by the full Committee and published in the Committee’s report.