The Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025 Continuing Professional Education Self-Study Module
You can now obtain continuing professional education (CPE) credits for reading the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025. Credits are provided by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR), the credentialing body for Registered Dietitians and Dietetic Technicians, Registered.
The self-study module will equip professionals with knowledge of the scientific underpinnings that makes the Dietary Guidelines relevant across all life stages. Participants will also learn science-based advice that can support implementation of the Dietary Guidelines in their work, including guidance on what to eat and drink to build a healthy diet that can promote health, help prevent diet-related chronic disease, and meet nutrient needs.
Introduction and Chapter 1: Nutrition and Health Across the Lifespan: The Guidelines and Key Recommendations
Description: The Introduction and Chapter 1 provide foundational information about how the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025 was developed, discusses the health benefits of lifelong healthy dietary choices and explains the four Guidelines and supporting Key Recommendations.
After completing this CPE self-study activity, professionals will be better able to:
- Describe the multi-step process that was used to develop the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025.
- List key guidelines to help inform decisions about nutrient-dense food and beverage choices to achieve a healthy dietary pattern across the lifespan.
- Identify ways the Dietary Guidelines framework can accommodate personal preferences, budget, and cultural considerations to meet food group needs.
- Highlight areas to impact health by understanding current nutritional gaps in the American diet.
CPE Credits Offered
Professionals may claim up to 2.0 credit hours after completing reading the required module and completing the post assessment and evaluation form.
Suggested Performance Indicators: 4.1.2, 6.2.3, 8.1.1, 8.1.5, 9.4.2
Instructions for Participants
To receive your certificate of completion for this CPE self-study activity, you must complete the following:
- Read the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025 Introduction and Chapter 1.
- Email DietaryGuidelines@usda.gov indicating you have read the Introduction and Chapter 1. Once you notify us that you have read the module, we will provide you with a link containing the required post assessment and evaluation surveys for you to fill out. Upon completion, you will be directed to download your CPE certificate. Please use the subject line “Dietary Guidelines CPE Activity: Introduction and Chapter 1” and provide us with the following information:
- Your full name
- CDR registration number